This is an amazing delicious cake. I originally came across the, from scratch and cake frosting part, from a recipe made for my nephew who is allergic to everything. Recently a friend of mine who is also allergic to everything made this cake for me too but recommended the box bought version and added a few extra goodies as well. It is an amazing cake because it is delicious and you can bring it to an event and be confident everyone can eat it.
The Chocolate Cake from Scratch
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix the ingredients below in a large bowl
- 1 1/2 cups white flour (presifted). Try and find unbleached flour but can be hard to find
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Then add ingredients below and mix until well blended: (no lumps)
- 1/3 cup canola oil (although I like using the more healthy and tasty coconut or avocado oil or grapeseed oil)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 cup water plus 1 tablespoon
Original directions for just baking in a normal 9×5 lightly greased loaf pan are to pour above mixture into pan and bake for 45 minutes at 350. Check at 40 minutes and insert a knife in middle to see if it comes out clean. Add three-five more minutes if needed.
For the special directions that I’m putting forth, cook in two lightly greased pans. A spring form pan is wonderful but can be just two normal circular pans. Cook for 15 minutes and then check with a tooth pick or thin knife to see if it’s done (no cake comes up on knife or toothpick when pulling it up and out). If you only have one pan use a 9×13 and then just gently cut the cake in half.
- Get sorbet of raspberry, strawberry (my two favorites), or whatever and make soften and then spread on top of one of the halves. Put the other half on top where the sorbet is in the middle. Put cake in freezer so sorbet doesn’t melt
The Chocolate Cake Frosting From the Box
- Cake box to buy is called Simple Truth Organic Gluten Free Chocolate Cake. I found it at Smith’s
–sub the 2 eggs for 1/2 cup applesauce
- Oil I like to use is avocado, coconut, or grapeseed oil
- Cook in two pans. Spring form pan is wonderful but can be just two normal circular pans. If you only have one pan use a 9×13 and then just gentle cut the cake in half
- Get sorbet of raspberry, strawberry (my two favorites), or whatever and make soften and then spread on top of one and then put other on top. Put cake in freezer so sorbet doesn’t melt
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup (or one stick) Earth Balance butter (soy free kind)
- 2 to 3 Tablespoons chocolate cashew milk (I always use 3 because I love this ingredient. Can use almond or coconut as well but cashew is my favorite. Can use soy too but I avoid it due to keeping this cake allergen free).
- One to one and a half or two cups of powdered sugar. This is where the less sugar comes into play. I like to consume less sugar and make things less sweet so I like to only add a cup at most. If you want it to be super sweet do two cups. Add slowly and stir. Add alternately with the milk.
Stir all together and you will have an awesome chocolate frosting. I leave the frosting out on the counter until I’m ready to put it on the cake. Take cake out of the freezer and apply frosting and you have a delicious cake you can bring to any gathering!!!